About ATLAS® ‒ an Addiction Treatment Locator, Assessment, and Standards platform
ATLAS was created to help people search for and compare addiction treatment facilities to find high-quality care for themselves or their loved ones.
- Helps treatment facilities find gaps in their services and provide better quality care to patients.
- Allows states to review information on treatment facilities in their state to:
- help facilities improve the quality of their care, and
- make policy changes that improve access to high-quality care.
- Allows public and private health insurers to review the quality of treatment facilities in their network and ensure their beneficiaries have access to high-quality addiction care.
Why was ATLAS created?
Research shows that addiction can be treated using certain clinical practices.
But there are no quality standards that require addiction treatment facilities to deliver these practices. As a result, the quality of care varies and it’s unclear whether facilities are doing the right things. This can make it hard for people to find high-quality addiction treatment for themselves or their loved ones.
ATLAS can help you:
Compare treatment facilities to see which are providing high-quality addiction care described in the Shatterproof National Principles of Care©.
Find the treatment you need based on:
- where the program is,
- whether the facility is using best practices,
- what insurance or other methods of payment are accepted,
- what groups they serve, and
- the types of treatment services offered.
You and your loved ones also can give feedback on facilities by answering a few short questions on your treatment experience. This helps other patients make informed decisions and helps the treatment facilities to improve or continue doing a great job.
- for people seeking treatment and for their loved ones, as well as for providers, health insurers, and others interested in understanding the quality of addiction treatment facilities.
- a source of reliable information.
- the first step in improving the quality of addiction care nationally by setting clear and transparent expectations.
- funded by a group of foundations and national healthcare companies.
- managed by Shatterproof, a national nonprofit dedicated to reversing the addiction crisis in the U.S.
ATLAS is not...
- funded by addiction treatment facilities or pharmaceutical companies.
- meant to reduce the pool of available treatment facilities.
- meant to shame addiction treatment facilities that may have areas for improvement.
- just a consumer-review site, like Yelp.
- finished and is only in its first phase of being tested in a few states, with a plan to expand it across the country.
Want to help ATLAS grow?
ATLAS now serves 10 states, but Shatterproof plans to expand the tool across the country. You can support Shatterproof in this effort by holding a fundraiser, becoming an ambassador, or working for change in your state.